UW-Milwaukee apologizes for carbon monoxide

Students who were hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning at UW-Milwaukee are speaking out. They are angry that there are no carbon monoxide detectors in their dorm. Around 400 students were evacuated from Cambridge Commons late Monday evening. At least 17 were taken to area hospitals to be treated for carbon monoxide exposure. WISN 12 News spoke to two residents who said they alerted authorities that something was seriously wrong. The three housemates lived on the first floor, directly above the apparently faulty boiler that was responsible for the carbon dioxide leak. They still can’t understand how close they came to dying. Two hours before the evacuation of the residence, the roommates knew that there was a problem. “I was like, ‘This is not normal. I felt like we were going to say that, without exaggerating, we were like, “We feel like we’re dying. Which wasn’t a lie,” Morgan Bateman said Thursday. She and Lauren Draeger were the most seriously ill and the first to alert the police. “I credit Morgan for everything. She saved everyone,” Draeger said. “We thought we were going to pass out as we walked towards reception. ‘I’m forcing you to come with me because this is messed up,’ Bateman said. No, we have to go,” Draeger told a friend took them to the emergency room at Aurora Sinai Medical Center, but as soon as staff noticed the extremely high levels of carbon monoxide in their blood, they were rushed by ambulance to a hyperbaric chamber at Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center “The nurse, and they were all like, ‘Oh, if you had gone back to sleep,’ which I totally I was just going to go back to sleep because when I slept I felt better, they said: “If you go back to sleep, we’d probably be dead in our sleep,” Bateman said. Two days later, UW-Milwaukee administrators admitted they didn’t have carbon monoxide detectors at Cambridge Commons or in any other residence on campus. They have since been installed since this scared. “I just assumed. I thought they were broken which is why they didn’t fire. I think it’s seriously messed up considering we felt like we were dying and that’s the only reason we went. I could have slept. It’s so messed up. I’m glad I didn’t die, but I could have died,” Bateman said. University staff met with affected residents. They apologized for the miscommunication during and immediately after the evacuation. Administrators also brought in staff members to help with what they called academic support and the personal well-being of students. The students have since been allowed to return to their rooms. Residents who do not feel safe have been offered alternative arrangements. The boiler was shut down and was being repaired. This work was to last about a month. “The Chancellor has ordered a review of all buildings on campus to ensure they meet occupant safety code requirements,” a spokesperson for the University of Wisconsin system told WISN 12 News on Thursday. .

Students who were hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning at UW-Milwaukee are speaking out.

They are angry that there are no carbon monoxide detectors in their residence.

Around 400 students were evacuated from Cambridge Commons late Monday evening.

At least 17 were taken to area hospitals to be treated for carbon monoxide exposure.

WISN 12 News spoke to two residents who said they alerted authorities that something was seriously wrong.

The three housemates lived on the first floor, directly above the apparently faulty boiler that was responsible for the carbon dioxide leak.

They are still coming to terms with how close they came to dying.

Two hours before the evacuation of the residence, the roommates knew that there was a problem.

“I was like, ‘This is not normal.’ I felt like we were going to say that, without exaggerating, we were like, ‘We feel like we’re dying. Which was no lie,” Morgan Bateman said Thursday.

She and Lauren Draeger were the most seriously ill and the first to alert the police.

“I thank Morgan for everything. She saved everyone,” Draeger said.

“We thought we were going to pass out as we walked towards reception. I said to Lauren, ‘I’d like to carry you. I’m forcing you to come with me because it’s messed up,” Bateman said.

“I love that I collapsed a couple of times because I couldn’t stand up and didn’t think I could make it to the reception. And Morgan said, ‘No, we have to go,'” Draeger said.

A friend took them to the emergency room at Aurora Sinai Medical Center, but as soon as staff noticed the extremely high levels of carbon monoxide in their blood, they were transported by ambulance to a hyperbaric chamber at Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center.

“The nurse, and they were all like, ‘Oh, if you had gone back to sleep’, which I was totally going to go back to sleep because when I slept I felt better, they said, ‘If you’ve gone back to me gone back to sleep’, we would probably have died in our sleep,” Bateman said.

Two days later, UW-Milwaukee administrators admitted they had no carbon monoxide detectors at Cambridge Commons or any other residence on campus.

They have since been installed since that scare.

“I just assumed. I thought they were broken which is why they didn’t explode. I think it’s seriously messed up considering we felt like we were dying and it’s the only reason we went there. I could have slept. It’s so messed up. I’m glad I didn’t die, but I could have died,” Bateman said.

University staff met with affected residents.

They apologized for the miscommunication during and immediately after the evacuation.

Administrators also brought in staff members to help with what they called academic support and the personal well-being of students.

The students have since been allowed to return to their rooms.

Residents who feel unsafe have been offered alternative arrangements.

The boiler was shut down and was being repaired.

This work was to last about a month.

“The Chancellor has ordered a review of all buildings on campus to ensure they meet occupant safety code requirements,” a spokesperson for the University of Wisconsin system told WISN 12 News on Thursday. .

About Elizabeth Smith

Check Also

Progress of exterior renovations to 111 Wall Street in Manhattan’s Financial District

Work is progressing on the $100 million renovation of 111 Wall Street, a 25-story commercial …